Sunday 28 May 2017

The Importance of going behind a final result

In sport we tend to get far to hung up on the final result, for example in my sport of hockey we see a score line of 3-1 or 3-2 or 3-3 and interpret the game a certain way, which had we actually been watching the game closely or taken note of key things within the game we would very quickly realise that the final score and final result doesn't always reflect the true nature of the game.

So what do I mean when I say, we as sports coaches need to go behind the result and dig deeper to find out what is really happening in the game in front us?

Well what I mean by the is that we need to use two methods for this which include-

1. Statistics
2. Video Analysis

Video Analysis
In modern sport the use of video is so very very important, it allows you to review the game and pick it apart from start to finish, and it also allows you to pick up what you may have missed as a coach, but also remind yourself of what actually happened at key times, whether you have won or lost the game.

In my sport of hockey we use Video for not only games, but also as a valuable learning tool in relation to the skills of the game, its is particular a great way to show a player what they are actually doing considering more often than not players will tell you till they are blue in the face that they are not doing it. Video allows players and a coach nowhere to hide. To get started on using video you don't need much, your mobile phone in some cases is perfectly good enough, and with the face-book live feature now you could almost have that video coming through in real time.

Take for example just this weekend I had our game videoed and what did I discover when I watched the game back, that most of my players were running around with there sticks in the air, and not in a position of preparedness to get the ball. Now that video will be able to be used with my team as a great learning tool, which will now be all about as we move forward correcting this.

Statistics
Now stats also play a valuable roll in helping us to go behind the result of a game, in my sport of hockey I like to use different stats such as-

- Consecutive passes
- Penalty Corners Won
- Penalty Corners Conceded
- Penalty Corners Converted
- Entries into our attacking d

I also have someone timing in each half how long we are in possession of the ball, this gives us a % which indicates how well we are holding the ball and using that ball.

In the end I highly recommend that all coaches go behind the results and not just get hung up on the final score.

No comments:

Post a Comment