Thursday 14 September 2017

Using Quotes as a Sport's Coach

As a Sports Coach, I am always on the look out for great quotes that can help lift and inspire the players and the teams I coach. Now this is not something new, Sports Coaches since the dawn of time have been doing this, whether it actually has any tangible motivation or effect on the players or the team is debatable, but that is perhaps for other to judge. I thought in this piece I would share some of my all time favourite quotes that I used and also some that I have created myself.

Herb Brooks (1980 US Olympic Ice Hockey Coach)

Herb Brooks I think brought us many classic and great quotes, now some of these are not necessary certain that he actually said it but I think they are great and I have used his quote's quiet a bit of the years-

"Great moment are born from great opportunity"

" You can't be common, because common goes know where you have to be uncommon"

" Let me start with issuing you a challenge be better than you are. Set a goal that seems unattainable and when you reach that one set another even higher"

"Hard-work beats Talent when Talent doesn't work hard"

"You were born to be a player, you are meant to be here, this moment is your"

"Risk something or forever sit with your dreams"

" The legs feed the wolf"

John Wooden (UCLA Head Basketball coach)

John Wooden I think has given many great quotes particularly in the area of leadership, and here are some of his that I think are most memorable-

"Make each day your masterpiece"

"Never mistake activity for achievement"

"Success is never final, failure is never fatal"

"Failure to prepare is preparing to fail"

"The true test of a persons character is what they do when know one is watching"

"The best competition is with myself to become the best I can be"

Ric Charlesworth (Australian Hockeyroo and Kookaburra Head Coach)

Dr Ric Charlesworth the greatest Australian sports coach of all time, perhaps the greatest ever Field Hockey Coach of all time has given us many great quotes and here are some of the most memorable one's. Ric was big on using Shakesphere

"The interesting think about coaching is you have to trouble the comfortable and comfort the troubled"

"The best performer are those that can control their emotions, make good judgements, and be calm in cauldron of competition"

" Our doubt are our traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win be fearing to attempt."

________________________________________________________________________________

There are also many other great quotes out there from Coaches here are some that I have found over the years that I like-

"Winning is not a sometime thing its an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you dont do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time, winning is a habit, so is losing" (Vince Lombardi)

"Most people get excited about games, but I get excited about practice because that's my classroom" (Pat Summit)

"Our emphasis is on execution not winning"

"Will you come to the edge with me, I know it can be scary, but if you come to the edge with me, we can fly together"

"The ox is slow but earth is patient" (Confucius) used by Mick Malthouse Australian Football Coach

" You are either a windshield or a bug" (Mick Malthouse)

Together
Everyone
Achieve's
More

KISS: Keep it simple and straight-forward.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Then I have also come up with some of my own like-

"Follow your dreams and your dream will be reality"

"Reach for the stars, if you miss at least you will hit the moon"

"Remember the triple C, Confidence, Control and Composure"

So what do you think, do inspiration quotes work? What are some of your favourites?





No comments:

Post a Comment