Thursday 16 March 2017

My Top 10 World Field Hockey Coaches

I have decided to do a list of who I consider to be the top ten Best World Field Hockey Coaches in the game right now. Bare in my this is very subjective and its my opinion and I am sure others out there will include others, anyway I will list them in order from 1 to 10 and do my best to give u my reasons for each choice.

1. Alyson Annan (Holland)


Alyson at number 1 for me is a no brainer, I believe that right now at this time, Alyson is the best Hockey Coach in the World, there is no one equal to her. I believe that Alyson has well and truely taken the mantle from her Australian Coach/Mentor Ric Charlesworth as the guru of Hockey Coaching.

2. Danny Kerry (Great Britain/England)


If Alyson is number 1, then Danny is without question Number 2 in the world right now, what he did with the GB team taking the all the way to gold at Rio was amazing.

3. Carlos Retegui (Argentina)


Now some might be surprised that I have Carlos at number 4, but I believe this is again another no brainer, what he has done to transform Argentine hockey is simple amazing.

4. Mark Hager (New Zealand)


Mark Hager for me comes in at number 4, and while he is yet to get New Zealand to a medal at a major competition, he certainly has transformed New Zealand Black Sticks (Women) and that is why I place him at number 4.

5. Max Caldas (Holland)


For me the great Netherlands Coach Max Caldas comes in at number 5, he has been very successful at club level in Holland, with under-age teams an then onto the senior Dutch teams, he is without date one of the best in the World.

6. Jamilon Mulders (Germany)


Jamilon for me comes in a number 6, and that is perhaps a little low, it amazes me how well German prepare the teams, they seem to no matter how they are travelling mid Olympic cycle find a way to the podium every 4 years, and I admire that, and Jamilon is a key to that. They were very un-lucky in Rio but there is no question he is one of the top ten coaches in the world of hockey right now.

7. Valentin Altenburg (Germany)


The same reason for Jamilon apply here to Valentin, did an amazing job getting Germany to the last 4 in the Olympics in Rio considering where they finished at the World Cup 2 years before. He is one of the best in the world right now.

8. Paul Gaudoin (Australia)


Paul who was an Assistant Coach under both the Great Ric Charlesworth and then Graham Reid with the Kookaburras has now moved across to take over the Hockeyroos. I believe that he comes in at the moment at number 8 simply because its early days and we are yet to see how it will go, but I have know doubt what so every that he will by the end of this next four years rival Alyson as the best in the world. Paul you were the worthy winner in the race for the hockeyroo's job and I doff my hat to you, mate.

9. Rob Hammond (Australia)


Now I am sure some are saying how can I have someone who hasn't been Head Coach of a National team at number 9, well its simple, Rob Hammond is in my view the next big thing, he has all ready transformed the WA Diamonds, who the year prior to him taking the job looked tied and disunited. An I believe he will be a very good Hockey National Head Coach as soon as he is given the reins.

10. Colin Batch (Australia)


Colin is the last one into my top ten, the former New Zealand Mens Coach now Australian Kookaburras Coach, I believe will be very good and will transform the Kooaburras, I am just not sure whether he can get them to the top step of the Olympics again, if he does then he will move up this top ten.

So what do you think, I know I have missed a few out and perhaps you could make several top tens, but for me there is only one number one and the Netherlands Women have her and that is Alyson and that is a real shame for Australian hockey, that someone of that ability is not within our ranks and its a great shame. Anyway let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment