Thursday 16 March 2017

Practicing 16 yard Hits: Game Play Scenario Drill

One very important aspect in any game of hockey is getting out of defence which is taking 16 yard hits. Its also one of the least practiced skills at training.

A few years ago I coached a team who had a major problem in this area, when the opposition place on a very aggressive press they were unable to get out of defence and often resorted to the old fashion hit and hope. Now I know this when I am coaching a hockey game and I see the opposition start to look for the long ball, I know I have them.

Anyway therefore we needed a drill that could teach this and at the same time bring in other aspects, so I asked my two full-backs to come up with a design a Game Scenario Drill which we could use at training. If you ever watch one of my training session you will notice I don't what you would call standard flow through drills or hockey drills, because as simple as this they teach nothing to the players. I believe instead in using Game Scenario Drills or (GSD's) as I call them, along with questioning to get the players to self learn.

Anyway my two full-back came up with this little GSD which worked wonders for solving the problem and I have been using ever since (see below)-


If you would like a PDF copy of it please leave a comment and tell me how to send it to you and I will send you a copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment