Thursday 6 April 2017

Attacking Forward Press for Hockey

These days modern hockey requires teams when they haven't got the ball to be pressing up on the opposition to do everything they can to win the ball back, and close down the passing options for the opposition.

For a while now, I have been using what I call a very aggressive forward press, at its best this press I have witnessed strangle opposing teams and force them to turn the ball over simple because it would be easy to face and attack than try to break through it. My teams started using this Press in 2013 at the Junior State Championships in Victoria, and I used it ever since with every team I have coached. I cant lay claim to coming up with the idea that belongs to a good friend of mine Mitch Dickin, but I have since tweaked it to make it even more effective.

Here below is the diagrams of what it is all about-




In each case you want the opposition to have the back pass that is fine, because with relentless pressure this back pass will gradually get shaky and the opportunity to force a turn-over to your forwards will be there. This is a very high risk strategy, but it brings very high reward if you get it right, and my premiership success in 2015 with Manly was pretty much based on this, during that season we pretty much had teams pinned back in there defensive 25 and they often struggled to move the ball even to half way without risking a turn-over.

If you have any questions on it please feel free to leaves comments and seek further information.

No comments:

Post a Comment