Sunday 16 April 2017

My Top 10 Great Australia Hockey Coaches of all time & 5 Up and coming Coaches to watch for

Ok here we go, this is my top 10 great Australian Hockey Coaches of all time and I will also name the top five up and coming coaches-

1. Ric Charlesworth

There is simple know doubt in my book, who the number one Australia Hockey Coach of all time must be and that is the Great one Dr Ric Charlesworth, he is the best there has ever been in our game, and ever will be. Two Olympic Golds with the Australia Hockeryoos, along with Four World Cups, two with the Men and Two with the Women, and countless Champions Trophies and other international wins. I guess the one blot if you call that to the copy book is not getting the Olympic Gold with the Men. But in my book he is number 1 and always will be.

2. Barry Dancer


Barry Dancer without question is number 2 for me, he is the Coach who did what no one before or after him has been able to do, he lead the Australia Kookaburras to Olympic Gold, therefore he is number 2 for me.

3. Alyson Annan

So I here some saying why is the Dutch National Team Coach in an Australian top ten of all time at number three, well its simple, I believe that right now Alyson is the Greatest Australian Coach in the game, and its a shame that she is not here in Australian doing what she does best.

4. Frank Murray


For me number four is the great Frank Murray. Frank led both the Kookaburras to great success at international level, and then the hockeyroos with distinction later on.

5. Richard Aggis

I don't photo of Richard, but there is no doubt he was one of the most significant figures in the life of the Australian Men's Hockey team leading them to there first World Cup success in 1986.

6. Brian Glencross

Again I dont have a photo of Brian, but he is without question perhaps the second most significant Coach of the Australian Women's Hockey Team behind Ric Charlesworth, leading the Women to there first Olympic Gold in 1988 at the Seol Olympics.

7. Merv Adams

Again I apologise I dont have a photo of the great Merv Adams, but it was Merv who taught Australia how to win at international level and beat the sub-continent teams that is why in my book he comes in at 7 in my top ten. He also led Australia to the silver in the 1976 Montreal Olympics.

8.  Katrina Powell


So while Katrina Powell or Triny as she is often know in hockey circles, has yet to be a Head Coach at international level, I believe she makes the top ten of all time, because like Alyson she is one of the best Australia Coaches around right now and up there with the greats.

9. Paul Guidoin


The current Australian Women's Coach, and former Assistant to the Kookaburras makes it into my top ten of all time, because I believe he will be the one responsible for leading the Australian Hockeyroo's back to Olympic glory in 2020, and will be the most significant figure in Australian hockey over the next four years.

10. Mark Hager


Mark is the last one into my top ten of all time, and while he hasn't Coached Australia, what he has done with New Zealand, means in my book he makes to top 10 Australia Coaches of all time without question.

So there is my top ten, I am sure others will have other views and there are many that I left out, notable mentions you could have included are people like, Don Smart, Jim Irvine, Don McWatters to name just a few.

Now the top 5 up and coming coaches in Australian in my opinion well these are-

1. Ryan Tout (Victoria)- Ryan is in my view the next big thing in Australian hockey, and I believe it will only be a matter of time before he will be part of the National set-up in some form.

2. Warren Birmingham (NSW)- Warren has been around in Australian hockey for a while as a player and Coach but I believe that he is one of the next top coaches out there within the Australian ranks.

3. Rob Hammond (WA)- Rob did a fantastic job recently with the WA Diamonds and now finds himself as an Assistant in the Australian set-up and will I believe go on to be a great hockey coach.

4. Jamie Dwyer (Qld)- now for allot of people the jury might be out on Jamie, but its not for me, Jamie is a true thinker as a Coach and will be one of the great Coaches of the game to go with his status all ready as Australia's greatest hockey player.

5. Madonna Blyth (Qld)- now Madonna has only just retired from the game at international and just started coaching in Perth with Hale, but I believe that she makes my top 5 in 5th as one of the next generation of Coaches on the way through.

Once again there are perhaps other notable mentions here such as Travis Brooks, Jay Stacey, Kate Starre from Victoria, Megan Rivers from NSW, Jess Bingley from ACT to name a few.

In the end its hard you could choose any number in these lists and there would still be someone missed or disagreement on something. Anyway this is my list and I welcome comments on it what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment